multitude of businesses and industries, and the downfall of BYODs. However, being
that these programs are so popular, we also wanted to share a few helpful hints
about what you can do to make the most of your BYOD program if you’ve decided
it’s the best option for your company.
1. Have a multi-layered security & management strategy
• Geo-fencing is a new technique used to secure and disarm devices based
• Stay up-to-date with network security – upgrades are critical to data loss
• In healthcare, use HIPAA-compliant servers to better protect patient data.
• Use blacklists to detect when data-sharing apps are installed
on location. For example, this technique could lock down the camera or
certain apps when an employee enters the workplace.
(i.e.Dropbox), but also work to determine if sharing is an attempt to
bypass security or to be more productive.
2. Assess costs regularly
• Negotiate costs with wireless carriers and contract an unlimited plan;
• Be prepared for yearly increases in user demand and upgrade wireless
3. Create and implement a user agreement
• Describe in detail the responsibilities and liabilities for both employees
encourage use of company Wi-Fi while at work.
networks to maintain reliable performance.
and the company. Users must agree to give IT some control, i.e. when
a device goes missing, call IT to attempt a data wipe before calling the
• Establish clear guidelines for downloading apps.
• Train staff on protocol for security breaches.
Need more help implementing a security or management plan? Contact us and we’ll
walk you through the strategy that works best for your SMB.