It is a great idea that everyone has a good plan in place for the upcoming 2019 hurricane to protect their IT systems. We understand the massive damages that hurricanes can do when it gets us unprepared.
Below are some steps you can follow in preparation for a hurricane:
- Property check – Ensure your property is well protected from water damages as it is the main thing that affects IT systems during a storm.
- Regarding your building protection, ensure any openings near the IT systems are well covered to keep water at bay. These openings include doors and windows.
- Disable the restart feature of your electronic devices. This is because, once power is back after a blackout, the presence of water can cause a short electric circuit. This, in turn, can lead to unexpected damages.
- You can also back up your data and files in case computers fail. Offsite backup is more advisable since you’ll still retrieve them in case of damages at your data center.
- Most importantly, have hard copies of some relevant documents that may be needed when your IT system is still offline after the hurricane.
- Good communication plan
When disaster strikes, you’ll probably need a reliable way of communication for emergency purposes. That is why you are advised to use cell-phones as they are quick ii matters of emergency and you need immediate help.
Landlines and VoIP phones need aren’t much convenient during this time as they use electricity which is likely to be absent during a hurricane.
Remember to charge your cell-phones earlier before the hurricane.
To conclude, a hurricane is something that needs appropriate preparedness to avoid damages which means extra costs to repair and even replace some valuable assets. It is therefore crucial that you keep the above measures in mind and the earlier, the better.
Contact us if in need of professional information regarding hurricane preparedness.